whitewash job

< Previous | Next >

CRISTIAN ABEL

ESPAÑOL RIOPLATENSE
Somebody help me please with this dialog

Corporal: All right, Slaven, you've made your point. You've had your trial. Now let him go.

Private Slaven: We want a verdict. This isn't an SIB whitewash job in time for the big homecoming, Corporal. We want justice.

Private Slaven: Come on, Deakin, let's stop f***ing about now, admit you did a runner.

Private Deakin: I never run.

I dont understand this: This isn't an SIB whitewash job in time for the big homecoming, Corporal

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Could you please give us your source, and more importantly, the situation in which this scene takes place?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    We always need a source.

Please look up 'whitewash' in the WR dictionary at the top of the page.
    an act of hiding, covering up, or superficially investigating faults or errors so as to prevent public knowledge and blame and responsibility: [countable]The trial turned into an obvious whitewash that let the killers go free.[uncountable]guilty of whitewash.

CRISTIAN ABEL

ESPAÑOL RIOPLATENSE
    Ok. I assume I cannot add youtube links so I will try to explain. There we go.

After the Falklands war ended, like 7 weeks later, kevin Deakin, the film protagonist, a soldier of the scots guards, is wandering about the island until he finds a farm and ask the people there for help. There the people says to him the war ended. He says he cannt remember anything and thinks the war is still on. Then he is rescued by a military helicopter and sent home. In the barracks he is questions about his role during the battle in the mount Tumbledown and he is accused of deserting the battlefield after a dubious inquiry but exonerated. With his reputation stained his colleagues think he is a "runner" or coward if you like tormenting him every time they can. During one scene his tormentors decide to hold a court martial in his room. Asking him questions like where were u during those 7 weeks? Why you dont remember anything? Why did you run? Etc. because he stained the reputations regiment and then beating him in the bathroom. During the court martial appeares this dialog

Corporal: All right, Slaven, you've made your point. You've had your trial. Now let him go.

Private Slaven: We want a verdict. This isn't an SIB whitewash job in time for the big homecoming, Corporal. We want justice.

Private Slaven: Come on, Deakin, let's stop f***ing about now, admit you did a runner.

Private Deakin: I never run.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    As this is set during the Falklands war, I assume they are British soldiers. SIB probably stands for Special Investigation Branch, part of the military police in the UK.

He's saying: This isn't a cover-up (whitewash) organised by the SIB to make sure the regiment looks good when they go back home. This is something we are doing to make sure we find out what happened.

CRISTIAN ABEL

ESPAÑOL RIOPLATENSE
    As this is set during the Falklands war, I assume they are British soldiers. SIB probably stands for Special Investigation Branch, part of the military police in the UK.

He's saying: This isn't a cover-up (whitewash) organised by the SIB to make sure the regiment looks good when they go back home. This is something we are doing to make sure we find out what happened.
    GRACIAS GRACIAS GRACIAS BARQUE.

< Previous | Next >