"who am your " vs. "who become your"

< Previous | Next >

tracker890

Chinese
Sentence:
Please believe in me, who am your true friend.

Q:
Why the word "am" can't change to "become".
same as "I become your friend".

another sentence for ref., see as follows:
(1)If one day I become your past, you will not also recall.
(2) How can I become your member?

• lingobingo

English - England

Q: Why the word "am" can't change to "become".
    Because that’s not what’s meant. To be and to become have different meanings. First I become someone’s friend, but only afterwards can I say that I am their friend.

tracker890

Chinese
    Because that’s not what’s meant. To be and to become have different meanings. First I become someone’s friend, but only afterwards can I say that I am their friend.
    Q:
    Can it be applied to different occasions?
    ps.
    I mean is the sentence "Please believe in me, who become your true friend. " correct and can applied to different occasions.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    I don't know if this sentence is "correct", but it sounds so awkward in AE that I cannot imagine saying it. The "who am" part sounds archaic to me.

In AE I would say "Please believe in me, your true friend." I think that is the same meaning.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    is the sentence "Please believe in me, who become your true friend. " correct
    The verb tense is a problem. What does "I become your true friend" mean? The action "become" is not instant: it takes time. I don't think you can use it in present tense. You can use past or future.

Chasint

English - England
    I don't know if this sentence is "correct", but it sounds so awkward in AE that I cannot imagine saying it. The "who am" part sounds archaic to me.

In AE I would say "Please believe in me, your true friend." I think that is the same meaning.
    :):thumbsup:

Even the archaic-sounding form is grammatically questionable. Who wrote this tracker890? Is it by someone who is trying to simulate biblical-sounding language?

tracker890

Chinese
    The verb tense is a problem. What does "I become your true friend" mean? The action "become" is not instant: it takes time. I don't think you can use it in present tense. You can use past or future.
    Sentence:Please believe in me, who become your true friend.
    I think the mean of sentence is someone say "Please believe in me", and "I will be your friend soon".
    Am I right?

< Previous | Next >