Who comes up with those ideas?

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Example:
Ramsay: However, the bun for the beef burger was soggy as anything. Blue cheese, marinated mushrooms, crispy bacon bits, white truffle oil. Who comes up with those ideas?

Amy: I did.

Source: Kitchen Nightmare Season 6 Episode 16

Background: Before the dinner service, Ramsay has an honest conversation with Amy about the food he ordered this afternoon. He highlights the poorly made burgers, saying that the bun was full of grease and some of the things didn't go together. Amy seems to have developed a shell to deflect criticism. She keeps telling him that the customers love it so his criticism is off-base.

Hi,
What is the idea behind the use of "comes up"?
do you consider it as a slip on Ramsay's part?

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't think Ramsay made any error when he used the present tense for "comes up". He was asking a rhetorical question that really isn't focused on the crappy food that has already been prepared. His question is very similar to "Who thinks of such things?" Using the present in rhetorical questions like that one is a common thing to do.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    If you type "come up with" in the box at the top of this page, you will find discussions of the expression.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you very much. I didn't realize he was asking a rhetorical question. The terse "I did" from Amy led me to believe that it was just a genuine question. If I were being questioned like that, I'd jump to defend my cause rather than answering his rhetorical question.

< Previous | Next >