who could become entangled in their cases if they were to proceed

Tilmeedh

English (Canada)
Hi all,

As I was reading this article the other day, I came upon a sentence that seems difficult to express in Arabic. Below is the relevant paragraph for context (emphasis added).

[Eduardo León] Trauwitz is not the only former Pemex official wanted by [current president Andrés Manuel] López Obrador. Emilio Lozoya, the former head of the company, is accused of accepting millions in bribes through shell deals. Lozoya, like Trauwitz, has vanished. *The men have something else in common: They were both top aides to former president Enrique Peña Nieto, López Obrador’s predecessor, who could become entangled in their cases if they were to proceed.*
Here's my tentative proposal for a translation.

(الرجلان يتشابهان من ناحيّة إضافيّة: كلّهما كانا مساعدي رفع المستوى للرئيس السابق, "إنريكه بينيا نييتو". وهو السلَف لـ"لوبيس أوبرادور" وقد يتورّط في قضاياهما في حال مواصلتها.)

Your input would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• momai

Arabic - Syria
    My attempt:
    إن الرجلان يجمعهما أمر آخر ألا وهو أن كلاهما كان مساعداً رفيعاً للرئيس السابق والخليفة ل"لوبيس أوبرادور", "إنريكه بينيا نييتو", مما قد يجعله عالقاً في قضاياهما في حال مواصلتهما لما هم فيه.

lukebeadgcf

English – US
    Thank you, Momai! Could I suggest a few tweaks? What do you think about:

إن الرجلين يجمعهما أمر آخر ألا وهو أن كلا منهما كان مساعدًا رفيعًا لسلف لوبيس أوبرادور الرئيس السابق إنريكه بينيا نييتو الذي قد يتورط في قضاياهما في حال مضت قدما.

Here, I've understood that it's the cases that would proceed and not the people.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Thank you, Momai! Could I suggest a few tweaks? What do you think about:

إن الرجلين يجمعهما أمر آخر ألا وهو أن كلا منهما كان مساعدًا رفيعًا لسلف لوبيس أوبرادور الرئيس السابق إنريكه بينيا نييتو الذي قد يتورط* في قضاياهما في حال** مضت قدما.

Here, I've understood that it's the cases that would proceed and not the people.
    Hallo Luke, thanks for clearing up the last part, which to be honest, I wasn't really sure about.
    *I avoided this verb on purpose, because to me it doesn't fit into context (if I am understanding the story correctly), as he is not actively participating in this warTa, but rather he is being dragged into. Thus, I would alternatively suggest something as يُشبك or يعلق.
    **note that you need an ann before the verb!
    إن الرجلين يجمعهما أمر آخر ألا وهو أن كلاً منهما كان مساعدًا رفيعًا لسلف لوبيس أوبرادور, الرئيس السابق إنريكه بينيا نييتو, الذي قد يُشبك في قضاياهما في حال أن تواصلت/ مضت قدماً

lukebeadgcf

English – US
    *I avoided this verb on purpose, because to me it doesn't fit into context (if I am understanding the story correctly), as he is not actively participating in this warTa, but rather he is being dragged into. Thus, I would alternatively suggest something as يُشبك or يعلق.
    Ah okay. Thanks for explaining this.

**note that you need an ann before the verb!
    Hmm, I actually think it's okay. I think you can say في حال and then a verb. For example, in the following examples from translation corpora, في حال directly precedes the verb:

في حال نجحت العائلة في الفحص الأمني

في حال فشلت المنظمة خلال شهر في تصويب ملاحظات قدمتها الوزارة

حتى في حال رفضت حماس عقدها في غزة

< Previous | Next >