Who do you suggest; Who do you suggest that

< Previous | Next >

Stieizc

Chinese
What's the difference between:
1Q. Who do you suggest should be sent to work there?
2Q. Who do you suggest that should be sent to work there?
?

Personally, I think the full sentence replies should be:
1A. Bob should be sent to work there?
2A. I suggest that Bob should be sent to work there?

In answer 1 "do you suggest" is omitted, but in 2 it isn't. So maybe "do you suggest" is not a necessary part of 1Q, but a necessary part of 2Q.
Am I right?

• DocPenfro

English - British
    1Q. Who do you suggest should be sent to work there? :thumbsup:
    2Q. Who do you suggest that should be sent to work there? :thumbsdown:?

The difference between the two, is that I think it highly unlikely that a BE speaker would use (2), even though it appears to be grammatically acceptable.
    As for the reply:

1A. Bob should be sent to work there. :thumbsup:
    2A. I suggest (that) Bob should be sent to work there. :thumbsup: (that can be omitted without affecting the sense of the sentence, and I feel that BE speakers would happily use either.)
    Alternatively "I suggest that Bob be sent to work there." is also good, stylish English, here using the subjunctive.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I agree with the Doc, except that I wouldn't say that 2. was grammatically acceptable.

X should be sent there.:tick:
    Who should be sent there?:tick:
    Who, do you suggest, should be sent there?:tick:
    Who, do you suggest, that should be sent there?:cross:
    Do you suggest that X should be sent there?:tick:

DocPenfro

English - British
    I wouldn't say that 2. was grammatically acceptable.
    I had severe reservations myself, and I couldn't mentally hear a BE speaker using it, but I didn't want to go out on a limb and say it was absolutely wrong, particularly as I was struggling to make a grammatical distinction between (2Q) above and the clearly acceptable (in the sense that it seems to ring true to my ear)

"Who is it you suggest that should be sent to work there?"

I appreciate that this specimen might not find favour with the grammatical religious police, but at the same time it seems like authentic demotic usage, and should be allowed a certain amount of leeway on that basis.

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    In your final sentence, Doc, you do away with the parenthesis, 'do you suggest'. It's that parenthesis in the original Who do you suggest that should be sent to work there? which makes it unviable, in my view.

Stieizc

Chinese
    In your final sentence, Doc, you do away with the parenthesis, 'do you suggest'. It's that parenthesis in the original Who do you suggest that should be sent to work there? which makes it unviable, in my view.
    What's the final sentence of Doc? I couldn't find it.

Who, do you suggest, should be sent there?:tick:
    Who, do you suggest, that should be sent there?:cross:
    Well, it seems that you think "do you suggest" should always be a parenthesis in a question with the structure "Who/when/what... do you suggest". That solves my problem.
    In 2Q I was expecting that "do you suggest" can play a different role(I couldn't describe the role in English:(). But as Thomas suggested, in that case 2Q should actually be:
    Do you suggest that X should be sent there?:tick:

DocPenfro

English - British
    What's the final sentence of Doc? I couldn't find it.
    TT was referring to this one: "Who is it you suggest that should be sent to work there?", which is a slight modification of your question 2Q. As TT says, this no longer contains the parenthesis "do you suggest", and the grammatical structure of the sentence has been changed in a way that makes it acceptable.

< Previous | Next >