Who is regarded as alien?

< Previous | Next >

veracity

"It is not people who break ethical standards who are regarded as aliens. It is people like me who are isolated."

Perelman said this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman

He thinks he is regarded as alien maybe because he is isolated. But those people who break ethical standards are not regarded as aliens, and this is a sad thing according to Perelman.

Do I understand it correctly?
Thanks.

• Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English
    "It is not people who break ethical standards who are regarded as aliens. It is people like me who are isolated."

Perelman said this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman

He thinks he is regarded as alien maybe because he is isolated.
    Not quite. He is regarded as alien because he does not break ethical standards. His isolation is a result of being regarded as alien--he is not part of 'the crowd', in this case, the crowd who break ethical standards.

veracity

Difficult. Having read your thread Trinibeens I do not agree with you nor with myself. I try again:

There are people who break ethical standards. And they are not regarded as aliens. On the other hand people like Perelman are isolated. Perelman do not state that he or people like him are regarded as aliens. No, they are only isolated. From the structure I feel the opinion that the others with bad manners should be regarded as aliens and Perelman and people like him should not be isolated.

Is the quote in good English?

Loob

English UK
    Hi veracity

It seems to me that Perelman is equating "being regarded as aliens" and "being isolated". In other words, he is saying:

"It is not people who break ethical standards who are regarded as aliens [and therefore isolated].
    It is people like me who are [regarded as aliens and therefore] isolated."

I think the original wording is fine in context: it's not poor or incorrect English.

Loob

< Previous | Next >