who live in group indoor cages

LQZ

Mandarin
That is in contrast to most of the monkeys here who live in group indoor/outdoor cages with swings and things to climb on. New York Times (subscription, free)

Dear all,

To my mind, there should be an "in" put before "indoor/outdoor cages" because and "group" should be "groups". I might be wrong. Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Copyright

American English
    It's fine the way it is. They live in cages designed for groups. Group is used here as an adjective to modify cages, just as indoor/outdoor modifies cages. As an adjective, it would generally be singular (not always, just generally). :)

Note, too, that one monkey can live in a group cage, which is another reason that group modifies cage.

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, LQZ. This is a long adjective phrase that modifies the noun "cages": "group indoor/outdoor cages" are cages that permit animals to live in groups and offer them access to space outside as well as inside.

e2efour

UK English
    I don't know why group is used, except to distinguish group cages from individual cages. I might say "indoor group cage" as well.
    I don't think it means "in groups in indoor/outdoor cages", which sounds strange to me (or states the obvious).

LQZ

Mandarin
    It's fine the way it is. They live in cages designed for groups. Group is used here as an adjective to modify cages, just as indoor/outdoor modifies cages. As an adjective, it would generally be singular (not always, just generally). :)

Note, too, that one monkey can live in a group cage, which is another reason that group modifies cage.
    Thanks, Mr Copyright.

One more question: Is it O.K. if I say "...who live in groups in indoor cages"? :D

owlman5

English-US
    I can't answer for Mr. Copyright, LQZ, but I can tell you that you won't be saying the same thing if you use this clause: One more question: Is it O.K. if I say "...who live in groups in indoor cages"?

LQZ

Mandarin
    Hello, LQZ. This is a long adjective phrase that modifies the noun "cages": "group indoor/outdoor cages" are cages that permit animals to live in groups and offer them access to space outside as well as inside.
    Thanks, owlman. Your explanation is what I supposed. :)

I am just curious about its way of expression, because I would say "in groups in indoor cages".

Copyright

American English
    The accent here is on the fact that the cages are designed for groups of monkeys -- no matter how many monkeys live in them.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Thank you, e2efour, owlman and Mr Copyright.

I read your posts agian and finally got it. Yes, "in group indoor cages" is different from "in groups in indoor cages" in meaning. I've got it. :)

owlman5

English-US
    Well, "group indoor/outdoor cages" is a description of the cages themselves, not the animals that live in them. "Group cages" are large enough for social animals to live together in them. "Indoor/outdoor cages" permit the animals to come inside when the weather is bad and to go outside when it's nice outside.

I see such cages frequently on a TV show called "Escape to Chimp Eden". These large and expensive enclosures permit chimps to be chimps.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Well, "group indoor/outdoor cages" is a description of the cages themselves, not the animals that live in them. "Group cages" are large enough for social animals to live together in them. "Indoor/outdoor cages" permit the animals to come inside when the weather is bad and to go outside when it's nice outside.

I see such cages frequently on a TV show called "Escape to Chimp Eden". These large and expensive enclosures permit chimps to be chimps.
    Thanks, owlman.

Your description reminds me of the similar cages in Beijing Zoo. :)

< Previous | Next >