Who looks at websites with <unsolicited> reviews?

< Previous | Next >

Vanloon

Hindi
<<The following is from an ESL podcast>> (https://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=16624898):

<<excess quotation deleted>>Jerrise: Who looks at websites with unsolicited reviews? I’m not convinced that’ll help us.

Russell: Lots of people look at reviews when choosing which business to patronize. Right now, we only have three stars out of five, and that’s hurting us.

Q: I cannot understand the sentence "Who looks at websites with unsolicited reviews?" Could you paraphrase it?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I assume that you are looking for the meaning of "unsolicited". To solicit something is to request something [usually to one's advantage] as a favour. The verb to solicit is formal.

The adjective "unsolicited" therefore means "not requested" -> voluntary.

If my website says, "If you like this website, please like us on Facebook." I am soliciting "likes" on Facebook.

If my website has only a comments textbox, anything that anyone writes is "unsolicited." i.e. I did not ask anybody to comment, they comment voluntarily.

Vanloon

Hindi
    I knew the meaning of 'unsolicited' already.
    I do not understand the context.

I think Jerrise has to say "Who looks at websites with solicited reviews? I’m not convinced that’ll help us. "
    There are many people who has written good reviews because of the money. For example, they pretend to buy something and give a good review which is an ad actually.

So I think 'unsolicited reviews' is fake reviews that's why nobody want to read it.
    How I understand it?
    Thanks

Copyright

American English
    I think Jerrise has to say "Who looks at websites with solicited reviews? I’m not convinced that’ll help us. "

There are many people who has written good reviews because of the money. For example, they pretend to buy something and give a good review which is an ad actually.

So I think 'unsolicited reviews' is fake reviews that's why nobody want to read it.
    They are not talking about paying or not paying people to review their product or service. Unsolicited reviews are simply reviews that are posted by people who feel like reviewing – they haven't been asked (solicited): they just want to review.

Solicited reviews are not paid reviews.
    Unsolicited reviews are not fake reviews.

You'll want to change your mind about those terms.

Loob

English UK
    I think "unsolicited" is a strange choice here; I don't understand the point the writer of the dialogue was trying to make:(. But "solicited" would also be strange: any website which has space for reviews is, effectively, soliciting reviews. Hmm....

Copyright

American English
    I'm not crazy about unsolicited myself. But when I answered I was imagining unsolicited being reviews from the general online public, while solicited reviews might be from people or websites that you have provided with your product and asked them if they would like to review it.

Loob

English UK
    That makes sense, MrC - so you'd agree with Vanloon that, in context, "solicited" might be better?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Yelp! is a website with unsolicited reviews. Tons of people look at it. I would say that either the author of this exercise wasn't thinking very hard when he composed this dialogue, or Jerrise is written as a character who doesn't know very much about marketing.

Copyright

American English
    That makes sense, MrC - so you'd agree with Vanloon that, in context, "solicited" might be better?
    No, I totally disagree with post 3. I think the original is saying "Who looks at sites with reviews from just anyone who feels like posting?" Whereas, reviews that are solicited from known or respected sources should drive more traffic to the site.

Copyright

American English
    Yelp! is a website with unsolicited reviews. Tons of people look at it. I would say that either the author of this exercise wasn't thinking very hard when he composed this dialogue, or Jerrise is written as a character who doesn't know very much about marketing.
    Yes, I think that's correct. I look at sites with unsolicited reviews all the time (Amazon comes to mind, but really, for just about any product. All you have to have is a sense of discrimination about who is posting useful information and who isn't – and who is posting about the qualities of a product that matter to you).

If I only read reviews from solicited sources, there wouldn't be much to read – and I would be concerned that they weren't unbiased, anyway. Perhaps the reviewer was given a camera lens to test ... and then allowed to keep it. That might put a slant on the review.

Loob

English UK
    ... I would say that either the author of this exercise wasn't thinking very hard when he composed this dialogue, or Jerrise is written as a character who doesn't know very much about marketing.
    Yes, that must be the solution:):thumbsup:

Vanloon

Hindi
    I'm not crazy about unsolicited myself. But when I answered I was imagining unsolicited being reviews from the general online public, while solicited reviews might be from people or websites that you have provided with your product and asked them if they would like to review it.
    Thank you very much for your kind reply but I am still confused.
    By the way, I cannot understand what you are saying. Could you paraphrase 'I'm not crazy about unsolicited myself. But when I answered I was imagining unsolicited being reviews from the general online public' please?

Thanks a lot.

Vanloon

Hindi
    I'm still confused. Mr. Copyright's explanation is too difficult for me. :confused:

Anyway one more question.
    'Who looks at websites with unsolicited reviews? I’m not convinced that’ll help us.' means nobody wants to look at it because of something. Right?
    Then....what kind of problem 'unsolicited reviews' has?
    Thanks in advance!!

Copyright

American English
    Thank you very much for your kind reply but I am still confused.
    By the way, I cannot understand what you are saying. Could you paraphrase 'I'm not crazy about unsolicited myself. But when I answered I was imagining unsolicited being reviews from the general online public' please?
    This is the way I'm understanding unsolicited and solicited reviews:
    Unsolicited review: I go to a photography website and post a review of the Canon 24–70mm, f/4 L lens, which joins the reviews of many other people.
    Solicited review: Canon or the photography website sends me the Canon 24–70mm and asks if I would like to use it and write a review of it.

What I was saying is that I don't believe unsolicited reviews are a problem on a website – and that people would avoid going to a website because the reviews are unsolicited. Amazon for books, and IMDb for movies, get thousands of unsolicited reviews and they don't seem to lack visitors.

A paraphrase of the original sentence – "Who looks at websites with unsolicited reviews?" – might be "Who visits websites where the reviews are just from other visitors? (ordinary people rather than professional reviewers)"

< Previous | Next >