who takes the responsibility vs who is responsible

babai

bangla, bangoli
While watching the news, I noticed a sentence in headlines "coach of passenger train derails at Kanpur central in India.Who takes the responsibility?" This is the context.

Now my question is

1.Who takes the responsibility?
2.Who is responsible?
3.who is to blame?

Do the three sentences above carry the same meaning and can be used interchangeably?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If you "take the responsibility" I assume you admit that you were responsible for having done something.

The phrase can also be used when you take on or assume a responsibility that you are prepared to carry out in the future.

#1 Doesn't mean the same as #2 and #3.

babai

bangla, bangoli
    If you "take the responsibility" I assume you admit that you were responsible for having done something.

The phrase can also be used when you take on or assume a responsibility that you are prepared to carry out in the future.

#1 Doesn't mean the same as #2 and #3.
    I don't know who is responsible.It may be the driver or may be station master or the government.suppose, the driver is responsible for this.then can I write 1.The driver takes the responsibility. 2.The driver is responsible. 3.The driver is to blame.?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I noticed a sentence in headlines "coach of passenger train derails at Kanpur central in India.Who takes the responsibility?"

Do you mean that you choose to interpret the question as meaning "Who is to blame/who is responsible"? That isn't what your original sentence "Who takes the responsibility" means (in BE).

Was this a news source from your own country? It may be that in Indian English the meaning is the same.

babai

bangla, bangoli
    Do you mean that you choose to interpret the question as meaning "Who is to blame/who is responsible"? That isn't what your original sentence "Who takes the responsibility" means (in BE).

Was this a news source from your own country? It may be that in Indian English the meaning is the same.
    Can you specify the three meanings separately? 1.who takes the responsibility? means what?. 2.who is responsible? means what? 3. who is to blame? means what?.you say they are not the same.can you explain why they are not?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    #1 "Who takes the responsibility?" - who owns up and admits that it's their fault?

#2,#3 - Who's fault is it? - Who should we blame for this? In practise, these two mean the same thing.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    1.who takes the responsibility? = who admits to having caused the accident?
    2.who is responsible? = who caused the accident?
    3. who is to blame? = who caused the accident by their own culpable action?

There is a slight difference between 2 and 3. If, for example, the driver suffered a heart attack at a crucial moment, he may be responsible but not to blame (unless he ignored health warnings).

babai

bangla, bangoli
    #1 "Who takes the responsibility?" - who owns up and admits that it's their fault?

#2,#3 - Who's fault is it? - Who should we blame for this? In practise, these two mean the same thing.
    #who owns up and admits that it's their fault? can you tell me it carries future meaning or general meanings?

babai

bangla, bangoli
    1.who takes the responsibility? = who admits to having caused the accident?
    2.who is responsible? = who caused the accident?
    3. who is to blame? = who caused the accident by their own culpable action?

There is a slight difference between 2 and 3. If, for example, the driver suffered a heart attack at a crucial moment, he may be responsible but not to blame (unless he ignored health warnings).
    Thank you, sir.Can you tell me "who takes the responsibility?" carries future meaning or general meaning?

< Previous | Next >