Who Wants to Be a Millionaire

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Kazuma, May 4, 2008.

1. Kazuma Member

Germany
    Bavarian, German
    Nin Hao Men!

I would like you to help me finding a translation for the title of the Mainland China version of the game show. It is called "Who Deserves to Be a 百万智多星 (Bǎi Wàn Zhì Duō Xīng)". I don't know how I could translate 百万智多星, though I'm able to understand the characters: Bai Wan means a million, Zhi mean knowledge or wisdom and Duo Xing is - I guess - starry or full of stars. What would that word mean?

And, If you don't mind, maybe you can tell me the other Chinese words in the show's logo? You can find it at bwzdx.com.

Thank you!

2. jedediah Member

Germany
    China, Chinese
    百万: a million
    智多: knowledgeable
    星: star
    Who Deserves to Be a 百万智多星 (Bǎi Wàn Zhì Duō Xīng): Who Deserves to Be a Super Intelligent Star Millionaire?

Doesn't sound very natural though. I guess yours "Mainland China version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" would be the most understandable/accurate translation of all. And if Bill doesn't mind, I'd like to call it "Who Deserves to Be Bill Gates?" Of course, Bill didn't make his name through the show. So, what about "Wer wird Eckhard Freise?" (Just kidding)

The other Chinese words in the show's logo are "万千星光,辉映慈善.“ I don't know how to translate it. The idea roughly is they invite many celebrities and do charity. Oh, their contribution to charity is seen as the major difference to other versions of the show.

3. avlee

avlee Senior Member

Suzhou, China
    Chinese - P.R.C.
    I'm afraid you don't have to translate this literally.
    You know where I saw 宝贝智多星? It's from the movie Home Alone. Somebody translated Home Alone as 宝贝智多星.
    Hope this will give you some idea in translating this sentence.
    百万 means million(s), millinaire.
    智多星 means someone who is especially clever and unbeatable, and usually very energetic.
    For your reference only.

4. Kazuma Member

Germany
    Bavarian, German
    Thank you very much! Do you mind if you quote your answers on the English language Wikipedia with a link back?

5. avlee

avlee Senior Member

Suzhou, China
    Chinese - P.R.C.
    Well, I de facto have no problem with it.