who was capable of intimacy with a woman, giving himself up to her

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 373, chapter 17) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: After the sex with Mellors the last night, Connie was leaving for Venice in a car with her sister Hilda. And Connie told Hilda that it would make a great difference if Hilda herself tried tenderness and sensuality with a same person ……)

‘For mercy’s sake don’t brag about your experiences!’ said Hilda. ‘I’ve never met the man yet who was capable of intimacy with a woman, giving himself up to her. That was what I wanted. I’m not keen on their self-satisfied tenderness, and their sensuality. I’m not content to be any man’s little petsy-wetsy, nor his chair à plaisir either.’

I understand who was capable of intimacy(=making love) with a woman, giving himself up to her to be who was able to totally give himself to a woman(=give himself up to a woman), when making love with her(be able to give, rather than be able to have intimacy)
Is that possible please?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I understand "giving himself up to her" in this context to mean "relinquishing his control to her", or "allowing her to be in control [when making love]".

< Previous | Next >