Who you feel versus Whom you feel

Grady412

English - US
In the sentence Also indicate whether there are lawyers whom you feel are necessary to the transition of your practice, I've changed whom to who. Does anyone disagree?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes. Whom cannot be the subject of "are necessary: it has to be "who".

"... there are lawyers you feel who are necessary to the transition of your practice, ..."
    or
    "... there are lawyers who, you feel, are necessary to the transition of your practice, ..." "you feel" is in parenthesis and can be omitted.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I hope everyone is comfortable with 'who' there, because I always change it. That is, I hope there's no-one for whom 'who' is actually ungrammatical. However, 'whom' is very common among careful speakers, and has been defended as a valid alternative by the highest authorities (Jespersen and Huddleston & Pullum).

Grady412

English - US
    Entangledbank, I agree that there are cases when whom is the correct pronoun and who is not. For instance, if the sentence were "Also indicate whether there are lawyers whom you wish to add to your team," I'd be fine with whom.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "Whom" would be correct if the sentence were, "... whether there are lawyers whom you feel to be necessary to the transition of your practice."

mplsray

I was surprised by entangledbank's suggestion that a sentence such as "Also indicate whether there are lawyers whom you feel are necessary to the transition of your practice" might have defenders among careful speakers and some authorities, so I tried to verify it. The section "Ambiguous cases" of Wikipedia's article "Who (pronoun)" does cite some defenders of the idea that this use of whom is grammatical rather than a hypercorrection.

I myself would avoid the use of whom in such constructions.

< Previous | Next >