wholesale conclusions

< Previous | Next >

dobrinja2011

Bosnian
Hello,

Can you please help me how to understand this part with "
wholesale conclusions"

We arbitrarily write of an ‘opposition’, but in reality there are no truly unifying political or military platforms, whether it be the Supreme Military Council, the Syria National Council or the Syrian National Coalition. In an interactive map, formulated by Al Jazeera
mostly on what seems like wholesale conclusions, the military council "claims it commands about 900 groups and a total of at least 300,000 fighters." The claim of actual control over these groups can be easily contended, and there are numerous other groups that operate based on their own agendas, or unified under different military platforms with no allegiance to any political structure, not those in Istanbul or elsewhere.

Interactive map formulated on wholesale conclusions...I really don't understand this sentence..
Source:
http://antiwar.com/blog/2013/10/23/the-sectarian-war-at-hand-redrawing-the-middle-east-again/

• owlman5

English-US
    No wonder you find "wholesale conclusions" hard to understand, dobrinja2011. So do I.

I think the term describes conclusions that are too broad or indiscriminate. There is insufficient evidence to support such conclusions.

Somebody used these wholesale conclusions about troop strength to create an interactive map that is probably not very accurate.

Please remember to include some text when you provide a source. A bare link is not enough: "The Sectarian War at Hand: Redrawing the Middle East Again" by Ramzy Baroud.

Last edited:

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I would almost bet that this is a bit of carelessness on the part of the writer: what he may be trying to state is that their data seems to be wholly made of suppositions or deduction — trying to borrow in reverse from "jumping to conclusions."

srk

English - US
    2. made, done, etc, on a largescale or without discrimination.

This is the second definition of "wholesale" as an adjective in the WRF dictionary. That seems OK to me. Edit: I mean to say that the usage in the original post seems to conform to this definition.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >