wholesale copycat

• Ben Dejo

English - U.S.
    Sounds like you are describing some sort of rip off, but I cant be sure since I have never heard the phrase.

mjscott

American English
    A wholesale copycat would be a knock-off of a designer label. The designer invests the time and money to develop a unique product, then someone steals the idea, gets some third-world country to produce the same product for about 20% of the price for the designer label.

It is hard to catch the wholesale copycat--which can be used to describe either the wholesaler who copies the original, or the product itself. It is illegal, but elusive when your design is a facsimile of the real product. When you also copy the label of the original designer, then the act is undoubtedly a felony.

GenJen54

USA - English
    Hi Willy,

Welcome to the Forums! As you can see, we normally rely upon our posters to provide us with context in order for us to give you the answers you are looking for.

A simple sentence and the name of the source would be especially helpful.

You might wish to have a look at our forum Rules in the FAQ section (located towards the upper left of the main forum page), which will help you better format your questions.

Cheers!

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Mj is right...
    it is a knock-off of the origional...but sometimes it is no cheaper to purchase...you have to watch.

If someone tries to sell you a suit that was designed by 'Bob Klien'..Calvins brother...I would think twice...
    tg

Willy_Raven

Spanish
    Thank you all!!!
    I saw this phrase in a newspaper note. I can't remember the whole phrase but I felt intrigued because it sounded funny.

< Previous | Next >