wholesale

zhonglin

Mandarin
Hi folks,

With the below definition, would it be grammatical to say "they're wholesale"? (to mean, that store is selling goods in large quantities, as for resale by a retailer)

The sale of goods in large quantities, as for resale by a retailer. adj. 1. Of, relating to, or engaged in the sale of goods in large quantities for resale: a wholesale ...

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Do you want to use this phrase to refer to the goods or to the seller? Could you use "they're wholesale" in a sentence, please, to give us some context for answering? (The answer to the question as posed so far is "it depends.")

zhonglin

Mandarin
    Do you want to use this phrase to refer to the goods or to the seller? Could you use "they're wholesale" in a sentence, please, to give us some context for answering? (The answer to the question as posed so far is "it depends.")
    I want to use this phrase when talking to a friend who is looking to buy goods in bulk, can I say, "look at that store, I think they're whole sale"

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I want to use this phrase when talking to a friend who is looking to buy goods in bulk, can I say, "look at that store, I think they're whole sale"
    It's not very idiomatic in the way you've used it there. :(

I think we would usually say: "Look at that store, I think they're a wholesaler", (or "they sell goods wholesale").

< Previous | Next >