whoop-de-do

brunaf

Italiano e piemontese
Ciao, sto traducendo un libro che insegna a smettere di fumare. Ho trovato questa frase:

"Set the date—and make it an ordinary day. Not a special holiday, not a day when there'll be parties and whoop-de-do."

L'unica espressione che mi viene in mente è "Hip hip Hurrà" che in questa frase può avere senso, ma aspetto conferme.

Grazie.

• MR1492

English -USA
    brunaf,

I would suggest that "whoop-do-do" is more like "festività" or "festeggiamento." "Hip hip hurray" is more of an exclamation and "whoop-de-do" is activity.

Phil

theartichoke

English - Canada
    brunaf,

I would suggest that "whoop-do-do" is more like "festività" or "festeggiamento." "Hip hip hurray" is more of an exclamation and "whoop-de-do" is activity.

Phil
    It's certainly activity ("festività") in this context, but for the record, I've also heard "whoop-de-do!" used as an exclamation: it's the ironic version of "hip hip hurray!"

A: "I have to work this weekend." B: "I don't--I'm going to the beach." A (bitterly): Well, whoop-de-do!"

curiosone

AE - hillbilly ;)
    It's certainly activity ("festività") in this context, but for the record, I've also heard "whoop-de-do!" used as an exclamation: it's the ironic version of "hip hip hurray!"

A: "I have to work this weekend." B: "I don't--I'm going to the beach." A (bitterly): Well, whoop-de-do!"
    Ciao Carciofo!:) In this sample context, I'd more likely say (ironically): "Well, bully for you!" (guess it all rhymes, too).

MR1492

English -USA

I see your point, arti! However, in the original post, my reading of the meaning of "whoop-de-do" is more activity than exclamation. However, your mileage may vary and other interpretations are possible.

Phil

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I see your point, arti! However, in the original post, my reading of the meaning of "whoop-de-do" is more activity than exclamation. However, your mileage may vary and other interpretations are possible.

Phil
    I totally agree that it's activity in the OP. I was just adding the exclamation possibility for the archive, in case someone comes along later to look up such a use of "whoop-de-do."

I also happen to agree with Curiosone that "bully for you!" is probably more likely for my example. I had trouble coming up with a good context. I suppose it's more like something a mean person would say to someone else's good news. Happy person A: "B and I are getting married!" Nasty person C: "well, whoop-de-do!":D

< Previous | Next >