whoop him good

catherine1999

chinese
Jason, what happened?
Well, I guess you could say Coach Brockton and I had...
a brief, but meaningful, exchange of ideas.
And fists!

Dad whooped him good!

Hi,furom.The translation says his Dad gave the coach a good beating,but in my dictionary,the whoop means to cry aloud or something like this,could someone tell me which would be the correct choice?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    It's a beating.

But the English of the original is abominable.
    Are you talking about the English of the text quoted by catherine1999? I think that it's largely correct, reading it as dialog.

Anon.: "Jason, what happened?"
    Jason: "Well, I guess you could say Coach Brockton and I had... a brief, but meaningful, exchange of ideas."
    Boy 1: "And fists!"
    Boy 2: "Dad whooped him good!"

Emre Yigit

English - UK, Turkish - Istanbul
    Bibliolept, I stand by my original comment. As you yourself said, it's slang. And good as an adverb? :shudder:

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Emre Yigit: I can only say that the writer wrote a perfectly reasonable line for a young child to shout out excitedly. (AE) I cannot criticize a line of dialog that presents such a skilled description of the situation and the character.

I guess we're talking about two different "levels."

Loob

English UK
    I agree with biblio.

The (AmE) idiom is surely "whoop someone good" not "whoop someone well":)

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Catherine, you will see a lot of idioms in AE that use whoop/whup/whip meaning to beat someone (either physically or at a game/sport/activity). I assume that the different spellings are approximations of the pronunciation of 'whip' in different dialects.

See definition B2 of 'whip' in the WR dictionary.

catherine1999

chinese
    thank you so much,friends.I really appreciate all the opinions.Because I learnt much from them and benefited a lot.thanks again.

< Previous | Next >