whose mantle I have claimed...

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
I suppose I drew this faith from the writers I have learned so much from. But I didn't draw comfort only from the nonfiction writers (1)whose mantle I have claimed. To paraphrase Tennyson, (2)I am a part of all that I have read. Like Auden, whose poem "Musee Des Beaux Arts" was prompted by Brueghel's painting, our inspiration flows in from wherever we have found it.

(1) Does it suggest that I have drawn the nonfiction writers' mantle??? What does mantle stand for?
(2) Could you paraphrase the sentence (2)?

• jimreilly

American English
    I have always assumed that "mantle" in a context like this refers to the kind of cape used to indicate academic (or other) distinction, the cape one wears as a part of the ceremony of some distinguished group. But I have never really thought about it before, so I could be wrong. But if I am right, then "to claim the mantle" of certain writers would be to claim that one is in their tradition, both in the kind of writing they did and the level of quality they achieved. One "belongs" in their group.

As far as the second sentence, it would make more sense to me if it said "all I have read is a part of me"!

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
    Thanks, jimreilly!!!
    Your explanation about mantle was very helpful for me.
    And, as far as the sentence (2), your new sentence is much easier for me. :)

< Previous | Next >