Whose questions

Sudarshana7

Ukrainian - Ukraine
Hello, friends!

I need your help as I'm confused. Which is the correct way of forming the 'whose' questions?

For example, should I ask 'Whose dog is this?' or 'Whose is this dog?'

I'm trying to do a task, write questions to the statements, and I'm stuck with this one:

The blue pen is mine.

I think that the question should be 'Whose is the blue pen?', but it doesn't sound right to me.

All help is really appreciated. 🌹

• lingobingo

English - England
    'Whose dog is this?' / 'Whose is this dog?'

Both are correct. One focuses on the dog, the other on the owner.

Your blue pen example is exactly the same construction.

Sudarshana7

Ukrainian - Ukraine
    'Whose dog is this?' / 'Whose is this dog?'

Both are correct. One focuses on the dog, the other on the owner.

Your blue pen example is exactly the same construction.
    So, the answer to the first question should be 'This is my dog', and to the second one 'This dog is mine'?

lingobingo

English - England
    :thumbsup: And in relation to the specific statement asked about in the OP:

Whose is the blue pen? — answer: [It’s] mine / full statement: The blue pen is mine
    Whose blue pen is this? — answer: [It’s] mine / full statement: That blue pen is mine

Who does the blue pen belong to? — answer: Me / full statement: The blue pen belongs to me
    Which is your pen? — answer: The blue one / full statement: The blue pen is mine/my one

Forero

"That blue pen is mine" and "That is my blue pen" appear to convey the same information, but the former is a direct answer to "Whose is this blue pen?", and the latter is a direct answer to the question "Whose blue pen is this?".

"Mine" is all the answer normally needed, but there is a subtle difference between the two questions that we can carry into a full statement answer, if we choose to.

Suppose there is a picture taken at a family reunion that includes distant cousins. Some women are looking at the picture and one of them points to a person in the picture and asks "Whose husband is that?".

That sounds like a normal question to me. But "Whose is that husband?", in the same context, would give me a totally different impression, as if the woman thought husbands were there for the claiming.

< Previous | Next >