whosoever / whomsoever

< Previous | Next >

bezani

English - Canada
Hello, I am not sure how to determine which form I should use in the following:

The parties agree to [...] in order to safeguard the property and protect it from any usage by whosoever/whomsoever.

I can't say by "any person" becuase it could be a company, entity, etc.

Thank you

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello, I am not sure how to determine which form I should use in the following:

The parties agree to [...] in order to safeguard the property and protect it from any usage by whosoever/whomsoever.

Thank you
    What category of person is this intended to define?

You might be better to define the prohibited usage and omit reference beyond that:
    .... to safeguard the property and protect it from unauthorised use.

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    I'd say whomsoever because it is the direct object of "usage" (the verb). Also you have a preposition "usage by". Those two elements would lead to the usage of "whomsoever".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    To be clear, this version of the sentence means that the parties agree to safeguard the property and protect it from any usage.
    Meaning that nobody can use the property. Neither party to the contract can use the property. The property cannot be used by anybody.
    Is that the intended meaning?

Loob

English UK
    If your only choices are "whosoever" and "whomsoever" then the right one is "whomsoever": by him - by whom - by whomsoever.

There may well be clearer ways of explaining the meaning, however, as others have suggested....

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Except "whomsoever" means "by any person"; you can only use "who" with persons. A company would be a "whatsoever". You could say "by whomsover or whatsoever" -- but doesn't that sound silly? Why not simply say "by any person, group, or entity"?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The parties agree to [...] in order to safeguard the property and protect it from any unauthorised usage by whosoever/whomsoever.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Except "whomsoever" means "by any person"; you can only use "who" with persons. A company would be a "whatsoever". You could say "by whomsover or whatsoever" -- but doesn't that sound silly? Why not simply say "by any person, group, or entity"?
    I'm not sure I agree, at least not as far as normal, everyday English goes for me. (Maybe higher register English has different ways of doing things.)

A: Who was using the property? / Was anyone using the property?
    B: Smith & Co.
    A: Oh, I didn't know they were authorized to do so.

I think we'd normally refer to the company as they, as if a collection of people, and not it.

So in my mind, ...from any usage by whomsoever could refer to people as well as collections of people (companies).

It still reads a bit stiffly though. I'd prefer:

...from any usage by anyone whatsoever.

or if you want to be more specific:

...from any usage by any person or entity whatsoever.

The use of whatsoever with people is common: I didn't see anyone whatsoever :tick: as opposed to I didn't see anyone who(m)soever. :cross:

< Previous | Next >