Why am I more excited about/with/for

< Previous | Next >

00B00

Cantonese
Which sentence below is grammatically correct and idiomatic?

Why am I more excited about the original movie than I was with the remake of it?

Why am I more excited about the original movie than I was for the remake of it?

For the latter part of the sentence which preposition should I use in the context? They both sound fine to me.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    You used "about" in the first part, so you should use "about" in the second part. Matching the parts is idiomatic.

Your verb tenses look backwards. You use present tense "am" about the original movie (20 year ago) and past tense "was" about the new remake.

00B00

Cantonese
    You used "about" in the first part, so you should use "about" in the second part. Matching the parts is idiomatic.

Your verb tenses look backwards. You use present tense "am" about the original movie (20 year ago) and past tense "was" about the new remake.
    Is it alright if they don’t match ? It still grammatically correct right?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Yes, grammar allows them to be different. Are the words correct? The second half includes implied "excited". Are these all correct?

I was excited with the remake of it
    I was excited for the remake of it
    I was excited about the remake of it

Yes. All 3 words are acceptable in grammar. But "about" is used much more often, as you can see in this graph (of all published books):

Google Ngram Viewer

tsoapm

English (England)
    I was excited with the remake of it
    I was excited for the remake of it
    I was excited about the remake of it

Yes. All 3 words are acceptable in grammar. But "about" is used much more often, as you can see in this graph (of all published books):

Google Ngram Viewer
    Is this a UK/US difference? I keep hearing Americans in podcasts being excited ‘for’ things and thinking how strange it sounds, and whether it’s correct. From various threads including this one, I understand that it’s acceptable in US English. I suspect it’s not (typically) used in UK English, but I’m not sure.

Switching from American to British English in the Ngram Viewer brings its use to a quarter of the percentage, if I’m reading it correctly.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Switching from American to British English in the Ngram Viewer brings its use to a quarter of the percentage, if I’m reading it correctly.
    What phrases did you compare? When I compared the 3 phrase "excited for/with/about the remake" I got zero results. When I compared the 3 phrases "excited for/with/about" I only got 1 result (in AE) for 2 of them, including "for". You can't take 1/4 of 1 result. So what phrases did you compare, to get more results?

Google Ngram Viewer

tsoapm

English (England)
    I merely clicked the link you provided. I'm not sure what you're looking at, but when I follow your link I only see it in terms of a percentage, not number of hits: about 0.000020% for AE and 0.000005% when I switch to BE. In 2008, which seems to be as far as the data goes.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I clicked the same link, and saw what you saw. Then I clicked the blue "search lots of books" button, and saw what I saw.

I think the graph is the same. It just adds a warning note.

< Previous | Next >