----, why don’t we all have serious trouble with our body

< Previous | Next >

peptidoglycan

Turkish
----, why don’t we all have serious trouble with our body image?

A) Provided that a deficit plays the leading role in the development of anorexia
B) If various biological and environmental factors come together to create a problem in the body
C) Given that each of us is extensively exposed to images of presumably perfect bodies
D) When our body image and functioning go hand in hand in a healthy manner
E) Now that a sportswoman can become overly concerned with her deformed body shape.

I think the expected answer is (C). But (E), too, seems fine to me. Do you agree with me? Thanks.

Last edited:
  • dreamlike

Polish
    What's the source? Not a single one of these answers seems a likely thing to say in answer to 'Why don't we all have serious trouble with our body image'?

peptidoglycan

Turkish
    This is a question asked in a national examination made by the Student Selection and Placement Centre (ÖSYM), a governmental agency of Turkey.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo, dream.

I'm afraid the options are not supposed to be possible answers to "why don’t we all have serious trouble with our body image?", but rather they are offering possible opening sentences to which "why don’t we all have serious trouble with our body image?" is intended to act as an appropriate question. :)

GS

dreamlike

Polish
    Oh, how foolish of me. I didn't notice the four dashes at the beginning of the question.

To answer the OP's question, only C) works for me. I don't see the link between what E) says and the rest of the question.

edit: Now that I have read it a couple of times, E) seems to be an equally valid option! I wonder what others make of that. Please wait for more opinions.

Last edited:

GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    I can see a certain link between E and the rest of the question, however I don't consider it to be correct for the context as it singles out a certain group of people (sportswomen) and then goes on to ask a question about a wider group... (and also because following E with a question sounds strange).

An example that i can think of for using E is:

"Now that a sportswoman can become overly concerned with her deformed body shape, the rest of the population may start having similar concerns." It's not a fantastic example, but it was just to show that E + a non-question seems more natural.

C is the only correct answer that I can see.

:)

Last edited:

dreamlike

Polish
    I can see a certain link between E and the rest of the question, however I don't consider it to be correct for the context as it singles out a certain group of people (sportswomen) and then goes on to ask a question about a wider group...

C is the only correct answer that I can see.
    That's all true, but how does that change anything? I must say E) didn't make any sense to me at first, but then I read it this way: Even if sportswomen (who are usually seen as fit, always in good shape and having a good body image) can become concerned with their body shape, why don't all of us, regular people, do so?

GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    Even if sportswomen (who are usually seen as fit, always in good shape and having a good body image) can become concerned with their body shape, why don't all of us, regular people, do so?
    In my experience, "even if" is used for making a negative statement:

e.g. "even if we had a full tank of petrol, we still wouldn't make it there without stopping."

However I can see your point. If you were to say "now that sportswomen are becoming overly concerned with their deformed body shape, why don’t we all have serious trouble with our body image?" then I agree that the phrase would work. So perhaps the groups idea is wrong...

In fact, the more I read E, the more it seems ok, not very natural, but still seems to work...

I would still say that C is the answer that they want given, as "given that" is often used to introduce a question, but E doesn't seem wrong...

dreamlike

Polish
    Well, you may have a point about 'even if'. I might have rephrased it incorrectly. My idea was 'Given that, these days, even sporstwomen can become...', which you seem to understood.

In any case, I agree. C) is by far the best option, and E) can't be ruled out.

Last edited:

GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    Well, you may have point about 'even if'. I might have rephrased it incorrectly. My idea was 'Given that, these days, even sporstwomen can become...', which you seem to understood.
    I understood your point, i just thought that I would note the "even if" point for reference...

Myridon

English - US
    I would never use the word "sportswoman" so E is not under consideration. ;) To accept your explanation for E, it says sportswomen [sic] generally have deformed bodies (which even they may become overly concerned about). To "become overly concerned with her deformed body shape", she must have a deformed body shape.

dreamlike

Polish
    They may be imagining things, as is customary for women who are overly concerned with their appearance. But yeah, E) suffers from many drawbacks.

Myridon

English - US
    They may be imagining things, as is customary for women who are overly concerned with their appearance. But yeah, E) suffers from many drawbacks.
    You could make a different sentence that says that, but this sentence actually says the other. You're jumping through hoops to force it to mean what you want it to mean.

< Previous | Next >