Why don't you bring me a glass of water?

< Previous | Next >

loureed4

Spanish
Hello,

I have translated the sentence that entitled this thread as follows: "Warum mit nicht du mich (=to me?) ein Glass Wasser bringen , bitte?."

I am really doubtful.

I have just read that "mitbringen" is a separable verb and that it is more appropraite to mean "bring" , instead of "bringen".

Also, I really don't know whether "nicht" is placed correctly in the sentence. The word order in the German language is still difficult to me.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Liam Lew's

The correct sentence would be "Warum bringst du mir nicht ein Glas Wasser (mit)". The word "mitbringen" is different to the word "bringen". You use the word "mitbringen" if somebody will either way go somewhere. And then you ask if somebody can bring you something because it's also on the way he intended to go. So the act of bringing is not the primary act.

If you use the word "bringen" the act of bringing something becomes the primary act. And the original English sentence would be translated more correctly if you used "bringen". But that depends also on context and on the situation.

You're right "mitbringen" is a separable verb.
    What do you mean by " and that it is more appropraite to mean "bring" , instead of "bringen"? I don't quite get that point.

The word "nicht" isn't placed correctly. It should be after "bringen".

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks a lot Liam!!

Yes, I read that "mit" is at the end of the sentence, thank you!

Interesting point about "bringen" versus "mitbringen" !!. :) ....The sentence you didn't get has just been answered very nicely by you!

So, "nicht" is placed after the verb, can that be a rule?.

Thanks again :)

< Previous | Next >