Why "I" and not "i"?

< Previous | Next >

Broca

Italiano
Hi,
I'm really sorry if there is already a thread on this topic, anyway...
Why "I" is always written with a capital letter?
My lecturer's explanation was: "I'm God's work so I deserve to be written with the capital letter". Is this right?
Thanks

• curly

English - Ireland
    I don't know if You are god's work or not, but we don't write You with a capital Y, so it's probably just a way to remember to you should put I, not an explanation

Embonpoint

English--American
    Yes, the link above says the capital became standard to avoid errors when reading handwritten manuscripts.

If someone's handwriting is difficult to read a capital "I" is going to be clearer in the middle of a sentence because it can only mean the first-person. A small "i" could be part of a word.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    My lecturer's explanation was: "I'm God's work so I deserve to be written with the capital letter". Is this right?
    No. It is not right. It is pure poppycock.

The reasons most often given for the capitalization of the personal pronoun are varied. Most of the theories have at least some fact or logic in their favor. Your lecturer's explanation is supported by neither.

Have a look at the link from post number 3 of this thread:

I

Last edited:

Broca

Italiano
    Yes, your reasons are probably better than my lecturer's!
    Anyway, if you strongly believe in God it's possible for you to think that I is capitalized for that reason!
    Thank you all!

Broca

Italiano
    Well, not necessarily. One who believes in God can ignore the real reason, thinking that the God-reason is the right one!
    Anyway, at first I accepted this explanation but now I think that the (eminently) practical reason is correct or, at least, the most plausible one.

< Previous | Next >