Why restroom a "rest" room

paddycarol

Chinese, China
Hi, everyone

I'm really confused about the word restroom even I know it is a euphamism. Why do people take a rest in such a place? Or simply, why do they need to rest? :confused: :confused:

• WongFeiHung

USA English
    Hey, paddycarol! Haha you don't rest in a restroom! You go to the bathroom there, no resting. Restroom = Bathroom (don't take a bath in their either, most of the time) = Lavoratory. Who knows why they call it a restroom, probably so they don't say, "I gotta go to the pissing room" ...!

AWordLover

USA English
    Hi,

According to the American Heritage Dictionary the definition of restroom is:
    n. A room equipped with toilets and lavatories for public use.

There is no reason to think that people are resting in the restroom, instead you should imagine that they are using the toilets.

As you point out there are many terms like bathroom or restroom that are used instead of directly naming bodily functions or even tools like toilets.

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    There are some restrooms, as opposed to mere bathrooms, that have a separate adjoining room with chairs and couches for resting. It's rather like a small lounge. I have seen these, for example, at the Musical Arts Center at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. There are places that have 'women's lounges' and 'men's lounges" which is another phrasing for these sorts of restrooms.

"Restroom" then became a polite way of saying "bathroom" in public. "Powder room" is another term that has been used. This usage stems from the fact that there was a room adjoining the bathroom where women could powder their faces etc. before joining everyone else. I have seen these also in a few instances on the same university campus in other buildings.

Orange Blossom

edval89

United States/English
    There are some restrooms, as opposed to mere bathrooms, that have a separate adjoining room with chairs and couches for resting. It's rather like a small lounge. I have seen these, for example, at the Musical Arts Center at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. There are places that have 'women's lounges' and 'men's lounges" which is another phrasing for these sorts of restrooms.

"Restroom" then became a polite way of saying "bathroom" in public. "Powder room" is another term that has been used. This usage stems from the fact that there was a room adjoining the bathroom where women could powder their faces etc. before joining everyone else. I have seen these also in a few instances on the same university campus in other buildings.

Orange Blossom
    Haha, me too! That's in my neck of the woods :)

< Previous | Next >