(?) Why would you give up on it?

Japanese and Japan
Tina: Thanks for all the encouragement. I appreciate it. If I don't make it to the third and final audition this year, I'm quitting.
Sue: Why ( ) give up on it? You've never been a quitter.
Tina: It's a battle with myself at this point. I have to give myself an ultimatum, or I won't make that last extra bit of effort that it takes to get over the hump. No safety net this time.

(a) do you
(b) are you going to
(c) will you
(d) would you
Questions:
1. Are all OK for the blank?
2. What nuance would (d) have, if it is correct, compared with the others?

For question #1, I think all of (a) through (d) are OK, but I'm not sure of question #2.

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    Neither (a) or (c) sound particularly natural to me. (b) is quite wordy. I think (d) is the most logical choice as a native English speaker. It is common to ask "why would" someone do something, to denote that you cannot comprehend the reasons behind the act that you are questioning. :)

the_del_star

USA, English
    d is definitely the best option.

I think it has something to do with the conditional structure of this sentence:
    If I don't make it to the third and final audition this year, I'm quitting.

Japanese and Japan
    Thank you, cropje_jnr, for your prompt reply.

...It is common to ask "why would" someone do something, to denote that you cannot comprehend the reasons behind the act that you are questioning. :)
    How about (e) below?

(e) Why should you give it up?

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Yes, "Why should you give it up?" is grammatically correct and natural.

That said, I'm not sure that I'd use it in the context you've given us. I think I'd tend to use "Why should you give it up?" if someone had suggested to her that she should quit. That isn't the case in your scenario as she is making that decision herself without any apparent outside influence.

In other words, it's not wrong but I might not tend to use it in that situation.

< Previous | Next >