wicked

Masha*

Russia: Russian
Hi!
More often than not I find the word "wicked" (especially when it is used in romance novels) difficult to interpret. What do you think it means in this description? This is all about what two people who are drawn to each other feel:

"The tension in the air was a palpable force, a wicked energy that flowed between them, made all the more exciting by this game of ignorance."

Could you please suggest some synonyms of "wickid"? It could help me to find a Russian equivalent .
Thank you in advance

• tepatria

Canadian English
    My mother-in -law used to use wicked to describe anything. The cold was wicked, the cost of goods was wicked, he had a wicked sense of humour. I think wicked here means very intense and not that pleasant.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hi!
    More often than not I find the word "wicked" (especially when it is used in romance novels) difficult to interpret. What do you think it means in this description? This is all about what two people who are drawn to each other feel:

"The tension in the air was a palpable force, a wicked energy that flowed between them, made all the more exciting by this game of ignorance."

Could you please suggest some synonyms of "wickid"? It could help me to find a Russian equivalent .
    Thank you in advance
    I remember Eva Green said "I am here not because I am wicked ,or bored, but because in the East, between a man and a woman, there's only a glance." when she went to the "hero"'s room to seduce him in the middle of the night (she's married to someone else in the movie "Kingdom of Heaven")

This word somehow strikes me as "naughty" in some contexts.

As for the synonyms, try here :)

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/wicked

digitig

UK English
    Strictly "wicked" means pretty much the same as evil. But it has acquired connotations of forbidden pleasures and indulgence. In recent youth slang it means "good", but that usage seems to be fading.

In the context you quote, I would read it as referring to something forbidden and exiting.

< Previous | Next >