wild and surgical

< Previous | Next >

HillbillyCat

Russian
Heard a phase "wild and surgical" in a sports podcast and wondering could "surgical" be more out of "surge" as something growing very fast and not "surgery" as dictionaries suggest?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, HillbillyCat!

Please give us the complete sentence, and tell us about the situation in which it was used. We’ll be happy to help.

HillbillyCat

Russian
    No full sentence down memory lane. But the thing I can recall is the phrase was used to characterize a football player or a finished game itself (like "He was going wild and surgical..." or "The play was going wild and surgical...")

The Newt

English - US
    No full sentence down the memory lane. But the thing I can recall is the phrase was used to characterize a football player or a finished game itself (like "He was going wild and surgical..." or "The play was going wild and surgical...")
    I would say that it wouldn't occur to a native English-language speaker to connect "surge" and "surgical."

Andygc

British English
    The figurative use of "surgical" implies a high degree of precision. To combine "wild" with "surgical" would be bizarre. A "wild" surgeon would not be noted for his precision and would be unlikely to have many surviving patients.

kentix

English - U.S.
    You must have misheard the words or didn't connect the right words with each other in what you heard. Wild and surgical means nothing.

Packard

USA, English
    :tick: I would not be very surprised to hear "surgical" in this sense in a football commentary, though "clinical" is more usual. It is the combination of wild with surgical that seems not to make sense.
    I agree it seems odd. I could envision a situation where it could be used as:

The play was both wild and surgical.

Suggesting that the play was partly played out exactly according to plan (surgical), and then fell apart and involved wild improvisation (wild).

However, I suspect that Hillbilly might have misheard the broadcast, and it is not likely that there is an accessible recording so we may never know.

< Previous | Next >