will be going ahead and check

n.i.c.k

Philipphine ,filipino
I just saw an email and I'm not sure but it sounds wrong for me can anyone please help me check or correct. Thank you

"I will be going ahead and check on this"

< Second sentence should have its own thread. Cagey, moderator >

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, n.i.c.k.

Welcome to the forum. :)

We have found that people can give better answers if they can concentrate on one topic at at time; this thread can be about your first sentence.

Is this a sentence that you wrote, or is did someone else write it? If someone else wrote it, please tell us where you saw it.

And what part of the sentence seems doubtful to you? What part do you think might be incorrect? Once you us a starting point for the discussion, people will do their best to help. :)

n.i.c.k

Philipphine ,filipino
    Hi,
    I just saw the convo from the email I really don't know w/c part of that sentence is incorrect but it just sounds wrong or maybe it's not just familiar for me. like for example when saying I WILL BE and the word GOING AHEAD is it constructed correctly? "I will be going ahead"?? <---> Thanks.

<---> Second sentence and question removed. Cagey, moderator

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "I will be going ahead and check on this"

"Be going ahead"
    is not what we usually say.
    Usually, we would say, "I will go ahead and check on this."

If you prefer "be going ahead" with the -ing form 'going', then you should put 'check' in the same -ing form:
    I will be going ahead and checking on this.
    This is grammatical, but not idiomatic. I can't think of a context in which I would prefer it; there may be one, but it would be unusual.

Note: What do convo and w/c mean? Write out words in the forum. Please do not use abbreviations.

Hi and welcome.

'going ahead" = proceeding forward, literally, as in physically, or metaphorically, as in completing some intention, taking it a step further

I will be going ahead and checking on this. = My intention is to proceed and verify this for you.

I agree that it's usually go ahead and check on this, but I have heard the"-ing" form used which tries to give a nuance of progressive actions happening, moving.

It's somewhat slangy and clunky, but some people do say it that way.

(cross-posted with Cagey)

n.i.c.k

Philipphine ,filipino
    Hi,
    ow sorry for that its "convo - conversation and w/c is which" sorry for that. Thank you for the information.

n.i.c.k

Philipphine ,filipino
    I see. Thank you Dale do you think it is ok if I tell the person to use go ahead and check on this instead of going ahead and check on this? Will it not offend him or something? or I'll just leave it as is?

Last edited: