will be in place to train and certify seafarers to operate?

< Previous | Next >

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello averybody!

The “Manila Amendments” were adopted at a Diplomatic Conference in Manila, the Philippines, held in June 2010, and are aimed at ensuring that the necessary global standards will be in place to train and certify seafarers to operate technologically-advanced ships for some time to come.

I would like to ask you about the meaning of the marked portion, especially the infinitive structures.

Does will be in place to train and certify seafarers to operate mean will be implemented regarding (for the purpose of) training and certifying seafarers who are to operate (who will operate).

Thank you. The source: http://www.imo.org/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/Pages/67-STCW-EIF.aspx

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I think it is badly written - "the necessary global standards" will not themselves "train and certify seafarers to operate technologically-advanced ships." Someone needs to do the training, or the training will flow from the standards.

As I read it:
    and are aimed at ensuring that the necessary global standards for the the training and certification of seafarers will be in place, so as to ensure that they are able to operate technologically-advanced ships

< Previous | Next >