...will be introduced here in a few year's time

< Previous | Next >

bottie

Britain - English
Rebonjour! :p

I'm haveing a bit of trouble with the following sentence:
It is possible that a similar system will be introduced here in a few years' time.
Il est possible que un système similaire soit introduit ici d'ici quelques ans.
The thing that is making me a bit unsure about the translation is the 'ici d'ici...' part. Can you say put two 'ici' together in French or would you have to change the 'ici' to 'là'? Or perhaps I'm thinking about it too much! :eek::rolleyes:
Merci!

• zaby

Your sentence is correct, you can keep it as it is (except that que on should be qu'on).
    Yet, French don't like repetitions and it would be better to change the first 'ici'. According to your context, you can say 'là' or 'en ces lieux' or use 'y'.

Chloe_21

English, England
    Hi Zaby,
    I was just wondering if you used 'y' instead of ici would it go in the same place or would it be
    Il est possible qu'un système similaire y soit introduit d'ici quelques ans?

zaby

Chloe_21 said:
    Hi Zaby,
    I was just wondering if you used 'y' instead of ici would it go in the same place or would it be
    Il est possible qu'un système similaire y soit introduit d'ici quelques ans? :tick:
    You're right, y is placed before the verb.

I didn't see it when I first read Bottie's sentence but années would be better than ans : d'ici quelques années.

< Previous | Next >