will be open vs will be opened

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ivory_scorpion, Aug 2, 2009.

1. ivory_scorpion New Member

English
    Hi, can anyone help to let me know which is correct please?
    a) the counter will be open from 9am to 5pm.
    b) the counter will be opened from 9am to 5pm.
    and why please.
    Thank you in advance for replying.

2. mgcrules Senior Member

English - Australia
    a is correct. It's open because that's what we say when a shop is open for selling stuff. I wish I could explain it better, sorry.

3. taked4700 Senior Member

Kagoshima
    japanese japan
    Hello,

I'm not a native English speaker, but let me post what I thought about this.

a) the counter will be open from 9am to 5pm.
    b) the counter will be opened from 9am to 5pm.

The 'open' in a) is an adjective and it tells us the situation or the state of the counter.

The 'opened' in b) is an past participle and it tells us the action of the owner of the counter.

And roughly speaking, the action 'open' will be achieved in an instance, the sentence b) is not a right one.

So, to judge more precisely;

a) suggests the state of the counter being open from 9 to 5

b) indicates they are in an effort to keep the counter open from 9 to 5.

What do you say to this?

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    a) says that the counter will be open (adjective) for eight hours -- that is, there will be eight hours during which customers can transact business at the counter.

b) says that an action (namely, all the activity required to open the counter) will take place continuously for eight hours. Whether they succeed in ever getting the counter open for customers to use is not said. Presumably, during the eight hours in question, any potential customers will have to be sent away, because they are not yet open; instead, they are still in the process of opening the counter. Frankly, any business that takes eight hours to open a counter does not sound very competent, and will not be getting my business...:D

5. johndot Senior Member

English - England
    If the sample sentence had read:

b) the counter will be being opened from 9am to 5pm

then GreenWhiteBlue’s reply in post #4 explains why it would have been incorrect.

However, the sample sentence uses “will be opened” and a specific opening time must be stated, not a duration of time.

6. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Moreover, even in this case,
    The counter will be opened at.....
    would be much less likely than
    The counter will open at....

7. Teach & Learn Member

Mandarin
    Sentence a) is correct, as "open" is an adjective there.

Sentence b) is wrong, because "open" functions as a verb in a passive voice instead, it cannot be used for a continuous action.

8. ivory_scorpion New Member

English
    Thank you all for answering my question...