Will be to unprecedented degrees dependent on

< Previous | Next >

farhad_persona

Banned
Farsi
Hello everybody,

Am I using "to unprecedented degrees" correctly? :

In the 21st century, the success of countries will be, to unprecedented degrees, dependent on their education policies.

I want to underscore that never in history has education policy been so vital in the economic success of countries. Expressed differently, education policies were important in 20th century and centuries before it, but they are even more important in the 21st century.

Thank you in advance,

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I would use the singular "to an unprecedented degree".

It doesn't feel right to split "be dependent" like that, though. I'd write:
    ...will, to an unprecedented degree, be... (with commas)
    or, better,
    ...will be dependent, to an unprecedented degree, on... (this one would also work without commas)
    or, best,
    ...will be dependent on their education policies to an unprecedented degree. (without comma)

farhad_persona

Banned
    Farsi
    So, is this natural? :

In the 21st century, the success of countries will be dependent, to an unprecedented degree, on their education policies.

Also, does it imply that education policy is more important than say, 20th century?

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Yes, that sounds natural enough.
    I don't think it directly implies the EP is important. That's a value judgement the readers may wish to make for themselves.
    If we want to stick with what the sentence means, all it says is that the success of countries will be more dependent on EP than ever before, i.e. than in any previous century.

farhad_persona

Banned
    Farsi
    Yes, that sounds natural enough.
    I don't think it directly implies the EP is important. That's a value judgement the readers may wish to make for themselves.
    If we want to stick with what the sentence means, all it says is that the success of countries will be more dependent on EP than ever before, i.e. than in any previous century.
    That's great my friend.

< Previous | Next >