will be / will have been

< Previous | Next >

Wookie

Korea, Korean
"270K fewer workers will have been hired in 2008."

Why "will have been" is used in this example?
Could "will be" also work?

*Could you provide some examples with using "will have been"?

• maggi.82

India, Few Indian Language's
    According to me this sentence make no sence.
    "will be" is the correct term to be used here, because it is the thing to be happened in future,and will have been is not correct gramatically, will never goes with have been, would have been is the proper term bt not to be used in this sentence.

nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    I also think "will be" is the correct term to use here. However, people always use "will have been" - it's extremely common in all sorts of casual contexts. But I'm struggling to think of an example where it's formally acceptable. I'd love to hear other opinions on this.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    I also think "will be" is the correct term to use here. However, people always use "will have been" - it's extremely common in all sorts of casual contexts. But I'm struggling to think of an example where it's formally acceptable. I'd love to hear other opinions on this.
    Hmm, maybe it sounds much better if by goes with 2008 instead:

"270K fewer workers will have been hired by 2008."

Source

nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    Kenny, I think you have got it exactly right.

Use "will be" when you are talking about during a period of time.
    Use "will have been by" when you are talking about something happening before a certain time.

If the workers are being hired during 2008, then say "will be hired in 2008".
    If the workers are being hired before 2008, then say "will have been hired by 2008".

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Kenny, I think you have got it exactly right.

Use "will be" when you are talking about during a period of time.
    Use "will have been by" when you are talking about something happening before a certain time.

If the workers are being hired during 2008, then say "will be hired in 2008".
    If the workers are being hired before 2008, then say "will have been hired by 2008".
    Thanks for your kind reply and confirmation, nzseries1:)

sound shift

English - England
    I can't comment on this because I don't understand the original sentence, thanks to lack of context.

A comparison is being made, but between what and what?

270k fewer workers in which period compared with which other period?

I would like to see the previous and the following sentences. Can you supply them, Wookie?

< Previous | Next >