will discuss it over / at / on dinner

NickJunior

Khmer
Which sentence below is correct?

"We will discuss the matter over dinner.
"We will discuss the matter at dinner.
"We will discuss the matter on dinner.

• Vinlander

Canada, American English (mostly)
    Which sentence below is correct?

"We will discuss the matter over dinner.
    "We will discuss the matter at dinner.

Both of these are correct, they mean essentially the same thing (in AE anyway for the first)

"We will discuss the matter on dinner.

This is not correct (unless dinner is a large animal, that we will sit on while discussing the matter, before we consume it).

Vinlander

Cristina Allende

US, English
    Using "over" makes me think of two people sitting down and chatting about something, whereas "at" makes me think of either a family or friends (a larger number of more intimate people). I think it's because when you say "Can we discuss this over dinner?" you are kind of inviting that person to dinner. But when you say, "Can we discuss this at dinner?" it is already a given that you are having dinner with them, which makes it more familiar. Using "on" makes no sense in this context; I would only use "on" with a date/day: "Let's discuss this on Thursday" or "Could we discuss this at dinner on the twenty-second?"
    The only time I say "dinner-time" is when I am calling my sisters to come eat: "IT'S DINNER TIME!" Saying "can we discuss this at dinner time" sounds a little strange to me, though I would know the meaning just the same.
    I hope I have been of help,
    Christina

NickJunior

Khmer
    Thank you very much Vinlander and PatBParis for your helpful replies. As for Cristina, your elaboration has been more than helpful to me. I appreciate it very much.