will do a written-word version of many of the same things they do

< Previous | Next >

AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
Hello,
What does the part in italic mean? I'm confused as to what the writer means by this sentence.

Resist the urge to correct your child during such games. Upside-down letters and nonsense words are integral to the learning process.
According to Kailing, children “will do a written-word version of many of the same things they do when they learn to speak. They will ‘babble’ with their toys.”
Ref: Teaching your baby how to read, Madeleine Fitzpatrick.

• AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
    Are you confused about the use of every word and phrase in the sentence or, for example, only the adjectival phrase "written-word"?
    I know what 'written-word- means, but I'm not sure why I have difficulty understanding what the whole sentence is trying to say. Maybe that's due to tiredness:oops:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    - What will children do?
    - children will do a written-word version

- What type of version?
    - children will do a written-word version of many of the same things

[- What do you mean by "things"?
    -Things that were mentioned - things that you should not correct - things that look like mistakes.]

- Which things?
    - children will do a written-word version of many of the same things [that] they do

- When do they they do these "same things"?
    - children will do a written-word version of many of the same things [that] they do when [at the same time that] they learn to speak.

Hence

children “will do a written-word version of many of the same things they do when they learn to speak.

< Previous | Next >