will forfeit the other 30%

Melitina

Member
France / French
Hello everybody! Hola a todos!

I have trouble understanding the verb "forfeit" in the following paragraph on microfinance for people living with HIV/AIDS:

The loan is given to a group of between 3-5 members, who all sign that they will provide the guarantee. After application, assessment and training is provided by XXX. The members need to prove that they are HIV+. If someone dies, the responsibility is on the group to pay back the loan; sometimes they might only be able to pay 70%, and XXX will forfeit the other 30%. It is up to the group to decide how they will repay the loan. If you go to a group to recover money and someone has died, counselling will be the first priority, then addressing the loan.​

I can't believe the sponsoring NGO (XXX) would actually fine the group in this particular case of a member having died. The paragraph suggests that the members have already tried their best and were only able to pay back 70% of the loan... Or I am too romantic for the harsh world of Finance, heehee? The alternative meaning "perder el derecho a" doesn't fit here either.

My try, asuming we're living in a cold cold world:
Si una persona muere, el grupo asume la responsabilidad del reembolso del préstamo; a veces sólo logran pagar el 70%, y XXX sanciona el 30% restante.
 
  • Melitina

    Member
    France / French
    Radiro ¡Muchas gracias! Ya entendí la sutileza.

    Voy a traducirlo así entonces:
    "Si una persona muere, el grupo asume la responsabilidad del reembolso del préstamo; a veces sólo logran pagar el 70%, y XXX pierde el derecho al 30% restante."
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top