(will) have ever seen

brian&me

Chinese - China
...Of course, the Hubble is above the earth’s atmosphere, so it will soon be sending us the clearest pictures of the stars and distant galaxies that we have ever seen. The Hubble will tell us a great deal about the age and size of the universe. ...

(New Concept English 2, Longman)

I think ‘that we have ever seen’ modifies ‘the clearest pictures’. But I wonder if ‘have ever seen’ should be ‘will have ever seen’ because of ‘it will soon be sending’.

Thanks in advance.

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't miss another "will" in that sentence, brian&me. It isn't necessary before "have ever seen." You're not obliged to keep repeating "will" just because you used it once in a sentence.

Last edited:

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks, owlman5.
    I wonder if you mean that ‘have ever seen’ means ‘will have ever seen’ and 'will' is omitted to avoid repetition in the that sentence.

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome.
    I wonder if you mean that ‘have ever seen’ means ‘will have ever seen
    Yes, I do mean that. It's clear to me that we have never seen such images but we will when the data from Hubble comes back in, is processed, and then released so that people can "ooh and aah" over all the pretty pictures of galaxies that they have never seen before. One "will" was enough for me to understand the author's meaning.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >