--Will it snow tomorrow? --Yes, sure./No, not at all.

brian&me

Chinese - China
This is a test question.

-- Will it snow tomorrow?

--__________.

A. Yes, sure.

B. No, it will.

C. No, not at all.

D. Yes, it won’t.

The answer key is C, but I think A is also OK. What do you say?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• ManningAnne

English, Canada
    Honestly, I don't either of the answers are great!

B and D are clearly wrong.

A is something that could be spoken I guess, but it's unlikely. However, I agree that it isn't "as wrong" as B and D.

C is OK grammatically, but I don't think an English-speaker would use that form. We would say, "No, it won't" or "No, probably not"

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    If you find a lot of this type of question where the answers are not quite correct, but some are better than others, I would suggest the test-makers are playing games with you. They are not testing you on your actual knowledge of English but instead on your ability to decipher tricky English questions. Best of luck.

Last edited:

boozer

Bulgarian
    I say that I have seen bad test questions, but this one is mor....., errrm, just about the worst.

First of all, who would ask another person a question like that? How can anyone possibly know with any certainty if it will or will not snow tomorrow? But let's say the question is grammatical and possible.

Now that the question has been admitted, both A and C can be said even though they sound silly in varying degrees. :D

Will it snow?
    Yeah, sure.
    But how can you be sure?
    Then why did you ask?

and then

Will it snow?
    No, not at all.
    :confused: I did not thank you for letting it snow, I only asked if it will. Or do you mean you are positive it will not snow? True, it is July, but who knows.
    :D

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >