will likely/ are likely to> resurrect

odin_revisited

India and Tamil
China’s rise and its march to the seas will likely resurrect concerns about naval competition and conflict that have not been seen since the early twentieth century.

and

China’s rise and its march to the seas are likely to resurrect concerns about naval competition and conflict that have not been seen since the early twentieth century.

Between the two sentences, in the first one is it whether grammatically correct to use like the bolded part structure, and explain the differences in meaning in any, except in the tense.

• Old Novice

USA, English
    The meanings are the same, but the first sentence, while of a form that I hear more and more often these days, sounds wrong to me. I think that's probably because the "Old" in my name is justified, :( and it is not a usage common in my youth. But perhaps the grammarians among us could clarify whether there is something more than mere novelty wrong with it.

The second form, I believe, will sound fine to everyone.

liliput

U.K. English
    I think the first sentence sounds more old-fashioned and certainly more formal. The first would more likely be used in written English and the second in spoken English.
    I agree that the second sentence sounds better.

< Previous | Next >