(Will) mean that my skill set (will/can) quickly develops

uktous

cantonese
Hi,

Question:
Which sentence is correct?

Sentence1:
Joining your team will mean that my skill set quickly develops into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
Sentence2:
Joining your team will mean that my skill set will quickly develops into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
Sentence3:
Joining your team will mean that my skill set can quickly develops into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
Sentence4:
Joining your team means that my skill set will quickly develops into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.

My opinion:
Sentence 1 the best, because we should not have more than 1 will/can in 1 sentence.
Sentence 4 is wrose than sentence 1, because it implies "join the team MUST enable my skills to develop.

Agree?

Thanks

• jonmaz

English-Australia
    With the dropping of the "s" from "develops", none of the four sentences would "offend my ears"!

Sentence1:
    Joining your team will mean that my skill set quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
    Sentence2:
    Joining your team will mean that my skill set will quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
    Sentence3:
    Joining your team will mean that my skill set can quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
    Sentence4:
    Joining your team means that my skill set will quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.

uktous

cantonese
    With the dropping of the "s" from "develops", none of the four sentences would "offend my ears"!

Sentence1:
    Joining your team will mean that my skill set quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
    Sentence2:
    Joining your team will mean that my skill set will quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
    Sentence3:
    Joining your team will mean that my skill set can quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.
    Sentence4:
    Joining your team means that my skill set will quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.

Hi,

I would like to discuss about your sentence 1:
    "Sentence1:
    "

The word "mean" is after will , so we should drop the "s" for the word "mean".
    The word "develop" is after that , so we should NOT drop the "s" for the word "develop".

Agree ???

jonmaz

English-Australia
    Hi,

I would like to discuss about your sentence 1:
    "Sentence1:
    Joining your team will mean that my skill set quickly develop into a sound base on which I can bulid my career."

The word "mean" is after will , so we should drop the "s" for the word "mean".
    The word "develop" is after that , so we should NOT drop the "s" for the word "develop".

Agree ???

I was (foolishly) wrong...the "s" should not have been dropped in that case and the original sentence stands.

I don't understand dropping the "s" from "mean"...it has no "s".

I like sentence 4 best (with the "s" dropped from "develops"!)

uktous

cantonese
    I was (foolishly) wrong...the "s" should not have been dropped in that case and the original sentence stands.

I don't understand dropping the "s" from "mean"...it has no "s".

I like sentence 4 best (with the "s" dropped from "develops"!)
    Sorry, I think I explain it not clear enough.

I want to say, in my understanding,

This is wrong:

This is correct:
    Joining your team will mean that my skill set quickly develops into a sound base on which I can bulid my career.

jonmaz

English-Australia
    Sorry, I think I explain it not clear enough.

I want to say, in my understanding,

This is wrong:

This is correct:

Yes, that is correct. As I said, I made a foolish error (it's 1:00 am here!:)) The "s" needs to be dropped in the other three but not the first sentence.

uktous

cantonese
    Hi,

Someone suggested some new ideas.
    I want to put them here for discusson

Sentence1:
    Joining the team will mean that my skill set quickly develops into a sound base on which I can build my career

The sentence suggests:

you have the skills, and when you join the team, it will allow you the opportunity to develop your skill set into a sound base.

Sentence2:
    joining your team means that my skill set quickly develops into a sound base on which I can build my career

The sentence suggests:

If you join the team then only will you have the means to develop your skill set quickly
    But if you do not join the team, then you don't have the skills in the first place

Agree ?

< Previous | Next >