Will not report directly to you

< Previous | Next >

aliciamonpul

Spanish
Hello!!

I am having trouble to fully undertand this expression, and translate it into Spanish correctly, in the following sentence:

There is not necessarily an issue with your daughter applying for the program provided you have no influence on the recruitment process and your daughter will not report directly to you.

First of all, I guess there should be an "IF" in between Program and Provided. Can you confirm this?
Secondly, the daughter would work in the department where her dad works and I read that this shouldn´t be a problem. I provided this translation: "Y tu hija no tiene relación directa contigo", but it doesn´t make much sense regarding that they would be in the same department... Can anyone help with this?

Thanks a lot!!!

• Lnewqban

Spanish - Cuba
    First of all, I guess there should be an "IF" in between Program and Provided. Can you confirm this?
    Como bien se explica más arriba, ese “if” no es necesario.
    En todo caso, yo pondría una coma.
    El sentido de la oración original sería: No es problema que tu hija trabaje aquí, siempre y cuando tú no interfieras con su trabajo.

Lo de reportar directamente se usa para describir la relación de un empleado con su superior o supervisor inmediato.
    Por ejemplo: Es común decir “I do not report directly to you“ a otro empleado que actúa como tu jefe, sin serlo realmente.

Cholo234

American English
    but it doesn´t make much sense regarding that they would be in the same department...
    The sentence is talking about the "chain of command" in an office, right? "Reporting directly" can be translated with a form of depender directamente:

"Moreover, the operational independence of the Office required that it should report directly to the SecretaryGeneral." (daccess-ods.un.org)

(Además, la independencia operacional de la Oficina requiere que dependa directamente del Secretario General.)

"These governors report directly to the president." (eur-lex.europa.eu)

(Estos gobernadores dependen directamente del Presidente.)

"Many words and expressions can be used with a similar meaning to if . . . Some of the commonest are . . . provided (that) . . ." (Practical English Usage)

< Previous | Next >