will or would

< Previous | Next >

dangareyes

Hindi
I have decided and i am going to join gym in august.

Now in september, i am telling this to a friend. Also, keep in mind that i don't want to show listener weather i have joined gym or not or he doesn't know whether i have joined gym or not.

I decided that i would join gym in august.
or
I decided that i will join gym in august.

Jailer: if prisoners wants freedom, we will release them but not before august.

Now in september, i am telling this to a friend. Same logic i don't want to tell listener weather the prisoners were released or not or he doesn't know weather the prisoners were released or not.

jailer told me that if prisoners wants freedom, he will release them but not before august.
or
jailer told me that if prisoners wanted freedom, he would release them but not before august.

• JustKate

I am so sorry, dangareyes, but I don't understand your question. Perhaps it would help if you focus on one pair of sentences (either the pair about joining the gym or the pair about the prisoners), and tell us exactly what you want to know. Both of the sentences about the gym are fine but are used in slightly different circumstances; the two sentences about prisoners have some problems, but both will and would could be used.

Last edited:

dangareyes

Hindi
    I am so sorry, dangareyes, but I don't understand your question. Perhaps it would help if you focus on one pair of sentences (either the pair about joining the gym pair or the pair about the prisoners), and tell us exactly what you want to know. Both of the sentences about the gym are fine but are used in slightly different circumstances; the two sentences about prisoners have some problems, but both will and would could be used.
    thanks for reply.
    i want to know should i use will or would. what is the difference between using will or would?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If you want the information to be indefinite, these are the ones to use.

I decided that I would join a/the gym in August.

The jailer told me that if the prisoners wanted freedom, he would release them, but not before August.

They tell us your decision, or what the jailer said, not whether you or the jailer actually took action.

You would use this one only if you haven't yet joined the gym, but will sometime in the future.

I decided that I will join a/the gym in August.​

This one is confusing, if you are saying it in September. That means you are talking about the past, and you would change the tenses to the past. You would only use the sentence above.

[The jailer told me that if the prisoners want freedom, he will release them, but not before August.]​

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >