Will Trump have more power over Powell than he should have given that...

Irelia20150604

Chinese
Source: Overseas Markets Decline

<Markets across Europe and Asia have been following Wall Street with major losses this week. NPR's Steve Inskeep talks with journalist Liam Halligan.>
<Jerome Powell has just succeeded Janet Yellen as the Chair of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
>

HALLIGAN: Will Trump have more power over Powell than he should have given that this is meant to be an independent appointment? Will Powell feel that he can't raise interest rates as much as he wanted to? That will please the markets in the beginning, but it could lead to those valuations getting too juiced up all over again, leading to dangers.
==
Hi everyone! How should I understand the bold part? My try is:

Will Trump have more power over Powell than Trump should have given that the appointee is meant to be independent of the White House.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    There is a mistake in punctuation:
    Will Trump have more power over Powell than he should have - given that this (the appointment as head of the Federal Reserve) is meant to be an independent appointment?

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I agree with PaulQ that punctuation is missing in the quotation.

It would also be possible to use a comma:
    Will Trump have more power over Powell than he should have, given that this is meant to be an independent appointment?

< Previous | Next >