Will/would you marry me?

keramus

Persian
Hello everybody

I'm so confused :confused::(
According to English grammar in use (published by Cambridge university press):
We also use will and would to ask people to do things. I want a girl to marry me. In most cases , I've seen that native speakers use Will.
Can we use Would as well?
For example:
Mary, would you marry me?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Mary, would you marry me? -> Perfect. (... but my name's not Mary... :D) This form is often used when there is additional information or a condition, e.g. Mary, would you marry me when you come back/your father gives you a lot of money/if I get the job?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'Would' is possible, although it has a troubling conditional aspect. I would be really put off by that 'would'. It shows a lack of confidence and a nit-picky paranoid woman like me, would ask 'Would I marry you if what?' ;)
    The traditional question is with 'will'.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I agree with Hermione. "Would you...?" is odd there.
    My answer would be: "I might - if you asked me." The magic words are "Will you marry me?"

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Will you marry me?" means "Are you willing to marry me?" (Do you consent to marry me?)
    Edit: this is also called a "marriage proposal", so there is also the idea of "suggesting" that she marry him. I wouldn't say that this "will you" has the kind of future meaning that it does in in: "Will you be going go to Scotland at Easter?"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >