will you be able to see the spots on the sun

taraa

Persian
Why is reversion used in the second part not in the first?

Only if you look through this dark glass will you be able to see the spots on the sun. (from a Persian book)

• puli_dog

I'm not sure, but I feel that an inversion in the first part would suggest that, amongst different dark glasses, this particular would be the one to employ, or else "without adding anything to the dark glass"...

taraa

Persian
    Is here again the second one the main clause?

Not until she took up rock climbing did she overcome her fear of heights

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Only if you look through this dark glass will you be able to see the spots on the sun.
    Not until she took up rock climbing did she overcome her fear of heights
    Inversion is often used after a fronting, adverbial, negative time phrase/clause:

Not in all my days have I seen such a thing!
    Hardly had I closed the door.
    No more will I go a-roving.
    No longer did he take the dog walking.
    Rarely is there blossom at this time of year.
    etc.

Jektor

English (UK)
    The inversion here emphasises the part which is moved to the beginning of the sentence:
    "You will only be able to see the spots on the sun if you look through this dark glass" - no emphasis.
    "Only if you look through this dark glass will you be able to see the spots on the sun" - the inversion emphasises that the effect will only happen if you first place the dark glass in front of your eye.
    "Not until she took up rock climbing did she overcome her fear of heights" - the inversion emphasises the fact that she only overcame her fear of heights by first taking up rock climbing.
    wordreference.com - careful-as-she-is-she-had-an-accident.2895005
    etc..

taraa

Persian
    The inversion here emphasises the part which is moved to the beginning of the sentence:
    "You will only be able to see the spots on the sun if you look through this dark glass" - no emphasis.
    "Only if you look through this dark glass will you be able to see the spots on the sun" - the inversion emphasises that the effect will only happen if you first place the dark glass in front of your eye.
    "Not until she took up rock climbing did she overcome her fear of heights" - the inversion emphasises the fact that she only overcame her fear of heights by first taking up rock climbing.
    wordreference.com - careful-as-she-is-she-had-an-accident.2895005
    etc..
    Many thanks for the great explanation. :thank you: :thank you: :thank you: