''Will you be my girlfriend/boyfriend?''

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if the expressions below are natural/common in the contexts below. Please take a look.

A man and a woman go out on a date and, a few days later, after emails, calls, etc the man decides to ask the woman into a more serious relationship - boyfriend & girlfriend. And he says: "Will you be my girlfriend?"

A man and a woman go out on a date and, a few days later, after emails, calls, etc the woman decides to ask the man into a more serious relationship - boyfriend & girlfriend . And she says: "Will you be my boyfriend?"

Thank you in advance!

• dreamlike

Polish
    Hi, Xavier

There's nothing wrong with the sentece in terms of the language used - it's perfectly correct - but it's doesn't sound natural to me. As far as serious relationships, as you so aptly put it, are concerned - one should let things take their course, do not rush things. I find this question a bit odd, although likely to be asked by some young and inmature people, perhaps.

Last edited:

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    One of the ways we used to put this question is "Would you like to go steady?" But I can't vouch for its currency. It might be quite "old fashioned."

dreamlike

Polish
    Mind you, it's only my opinion - I would never say it myself, and the same sentence in Polish, coming from the mouth of the person older than, say, 18 old would sound pretty odd. I don't know if the same is the case in English speaking countries. You don't normally "ask the woman into a more serious relationship", it just happen (or don't) by itself.

Last edited:

Agousier

English - Canada
    It's something that would be pretty common to kids in high school, perhaps around 14 to 16 years old, but pretty rare outside of that.
    It kind of becomes implied when you continue going on dates - so if you go on a first date, and it goes well, you might ask the person "Can I see you again?" or "Can we do this again?" or say "I'd really like to see you again, maybe next week?". If they say yes, and you continue going out on dates, you more or less become boyfriend and girlfriend, it's more implied than stated.
    An adult talking about their boyfriend or girlfriend is common; an adult asking someone to be their boyfriend/girlfriend seems juvenile.

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    That's exactly the point I wanted to make. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that way.

I agree as well. You'd most likely go on a date. If it works out, then you see each other more often.

Once it gets to a point where you want to be boyfriend/girlfriend, you'd most likely have an adult conversation in which you ask if you two are "exclusive".