Will you date me? vs I wanna be your boyfriend

Hello everyone,

If a man wants to have a sexual/romantic relationship with a woman, what are the common ways of expressing/asking her this? Please, take a look.

A man tells a woman he's interested in her: "I think you're so special. I really like you. Will you date me?"

A man tells a woman he's interested in her: "I think you're so special. I really like you. I wanna be your boyfriend."

Thank you very much in advance!

• Myridon

English - US
    You're moving way too fast! Just as every journey starts with a single step, every relationship starts with a first date (or maybe just a coffee :)).
    The first one: Will you go on a date with me? Will you go out with me? Can I take you out to dinner? Would you like to go out sometime? ...
    The second one: First, don't say "wanna". Second, it needs to be much more subtle - this sounds either desparate or controlling. I think I'd stay with the first plan -ask for a date.

Ahmed HaMaDa

Arabic Egypt
    You're moving way too fast! Just as every journey starts with a single step, every relationship starts with a first date (or maybe just a coffee :)).
    The first one: Will you go on a date with me? Will you go out with me? Can I take you out to dinner? Would you like to go out sometime? ...
    The second one: First, don't say "wanna". Second, it needs to be much more subtle - this sounds either desparate or controlling. I think I'd stay with the first plan -ask for a date.

like for your comment :)

sandpiperlily

I completely agree with Myridon (as usual).

You would only say "I want to be your boyfriend" if you were already dating or involved with the person, and were trying to make it official / exclusive. It's definitely not an opening line!

Renaissance man

The best thing is to go straight to her father and ask his permission for her hand.
    Joking aside :)

Yes, the cultural differences are vast. In the US and northern/western Europe, labels are less important, and there is seldom an exact point where you declare that you are boyfriend/girlfriend.
    Especially in the US, you tend to date a lot -- in some people's opinion an endless series of coffees and dinners before you progress. Any gesture that may seem to rush this process, like too expensive gifts or too early proclamations of love, may deter your target.

Ask her out for a drink or a coffee. It's a universal opener.

Last edited: