win the bid in selecting a supplier of three submarines

Leafka

Polish
Hi,

I have difficuty understanding the part in bold in the text below (which I found here: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2015/04/116_177264.html):

Prosecutors raided the headquarters of Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) in Ulsan, Thursday, as part of their investigation into widespread corruption in the defense industry.

The move came amid suspicion that a retired captain, surnamed Lim, helped the firm win the bid in selecting a supplier of three submarines, worth 1.27 trillion won ($1.1 billion), from 2007 to 2009 by changing the evaluation criteria in favor of the company.

Prosecutors suspect that Lim, who was one of the project evaluators at the Submarine Command during that period, committed the alleged crime in exchange for a high-ranking post at the company after his retirement. He is now an executive at HHI.

Does it mean the company became the supplier of the three submarines? Is it good English?

• Linkway

British English
    I'm not so sure. "Bid" can mean effort or attempt (eg. Clinton's bid to become the next U.S. president) but in this context "bid" means that companies submitted tenders (proposals) to build the submarines and hoped to win the contract.

So the firm that submits the "winning bid" gets the contract. They do not "win the bid"; it is their bid that wins the contract.

Andygc

British English
    Yes, it's pretty poor English, and doesn't actually make sense if you read it as written "helped the firm win the bid in selecting a supplier of three submarines,". Presumably the intended meaning is "helped the firm win the contract to supply three submarines,"

< Previous | Next >