Win vs won

Chazz

Dutch
Hi,

Is there any difference between:

If you win the lottery, what would you do?

Or

If you won the lottery, what would you do?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    If you win the lottery, what would you do?:cross: You would need to say "If you win the lottery, what will you do?"

If you won the lottery, what would you do?:tick:

AliBadass

persian
    From Caillou's cartoon: Children have been taken to an apple orchard to pick apples. The ensuing conversation goes between two groups of children and their teacher (Miss Martin):

A child from group 1: Our bucket's full.
    A child from group 2: Ours is too. Who won?
    Miss Martin: It's a tie. You all win.
    Children: We won. We won.

Shouldn't Miss Martin have said ''You all won''?

S1m0n

English
    I don't think so. Miss Martin is conferring an award; her words change something, turning the children into winners. That happens in the immediate tense, but as soon as she does so, this moment belongs to the past. It's an event that has already occurred, so the children say "we won!'.

AliBadass

persian
    I don't think so. Miss Martin is conferring an award; her words change something, turning the children into winners. That happens in the immediate tense, but as soon as she does so, this moment belongs to the past. It's an event that has already occurred, so the children say "we won!'.
    Thank you. But I'm afraid I still don't get it. How? What do you mean by conferring an award.

S1m0n

English
    You don't become a winner of a contest until the judge issues a ruling and declares that you are the winner. When that happens, you stop being one of the contestants and start being the winner. The judges words change something about you. Does that make sense? This isn't a grammar function, but it is one way that words can words can work in english.
    The classic example is a marriage ceremony. The couple are single until the officiant (judge or priest, etc) says "I now pronounce you man and wife". When he or she does so, the couple are changed: they have become married from that moment forward.
    In this case, the children aren't winners until Miss Martin issues her declaration: "You all win". When she does so, they become winners, and that moment becomes part of the past.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The question was 'Who won?'
    The answer to a question is likely to repeat the form. In this case, the question used the verb 'win'. The most likely answer will use the same verb: You all win.
    The teacher is not talking about the past. The teacher is talking about the moment in which the pronouncement is made, the present.

< Previous | Next >